HOW LONG DOES 4×4 SUSPENSION LAST?
As a VERY GENERAL guide, you should get at least 80,000km out of your OE suspension. However, in reality how long your suspension lasts depends on several factors. This is especially true for 4WDs.
Factors affecting suspension lifespan include:
- Your driving habits and where you drive your vehicle – if you’re hitting Australia’s roughest tracks, your suspension will give out much faster. This is also the case if you’re someone who likes to push their vehicle to its performance limits. Nevertheless, keep in mind we tend to subconsciously alter our driving habits to accommodate suspension issues. This often means greater suspension durability/lifespan, despite weaknesses in the suspension.
- How much weight you’re packing – loading your vehicle to the max puts strain on your suspension. For that reason, make sure you keep the total weight under your GVWR. Plus, ensure the weight is as evenly distributed as possible over the axles. This is important for suspension maintenance AND safety.
- The type of suspension on your vehicle – You need to fit your vehicle with the right suspension for the way you use it. If you’re asking more of your suspension than what it’s designed for, you won’t get the suspension durability you’re after. When it comes to choosing suspension products, opt for a reputable brand that’s built tough and tested in Aussie conditions.
How to Tell When You Need New Suspension
So many factors come into play when figuring out your suspension’s durability. We, therefore, suggest you get your suspension checked at every service AND before every major off-road trip. However, you can also keep an eye on your suspension yourself. If you notice any of the following, get your vehicle in for a suspension check pronto:
- Squeaking noises – rubber bushes literally cry out when they need replacing.
- Fluid leaking from the shocks
- Vehicle pitching and rolling – this is a clear sign you need new shocks and struts.
- Difficulty steering – this COULD be an indicator of suspension issues OR of issues with the steering system itself. Either way, it needs looking at.
For a hassle-free suspension durability check-up or upgrade contact your local EFS dealer.
All EFS suspension products come with a 3 year/100,000km warranty (excluding bushes which have a 1 year/20,000km warranty).